In Optimizely, events help you measure success in an experiment. You can think of events as the “verbs” of Optimizely X. They track the actions that people take on your site, such as clicks, pageviews, form submissions, and purchases.
With events, you can track three kinds of visitor behavior:
- Click events capture visitor clicks on elements like buttons or offers
- Pageview events capture visitor pageviews and are tracked automatically for each page that you set up
- Custom events capture additional information about other kinds of visitor behaviors
Click events capture visitor clicks on elements like buttons or offers. You create them on a page, and they inherit the URL targeting from that page. Here's how to set up a click event:
- Navigate to Implementation > Pages and select the page where you want to add the event. You can also create a new page instead.
- In the left panel, in the Events section, select Create and then Click.
- Click the element to which you want to attach a click event.
- In the Selector field, the Editor automatically populates the selector for the element you chose. You can type or paste the element’s selector into the Selector field if you prefer.
- In the Name field, enter a name for your event.
- Click Save.